Valentine’s Day Facts
February 10, 2023
- Procrastinate getting your valentines together every year? You’re not alone. Over 50 percent of all Valentine’s Day cards are purchased in the six days prior to the holiday.
- Many believe the X symbol became synonymous with the kiss in medieval times. People who couldn’t write their names signed in front of a witness with an X. The X was then kissed to show their sincerity.
- In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This is believed to be the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.”
- Did you know 189 million stems of roses are sold in the U.S. on Valentine’s Day? 15% of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
- About 8 billion candy hearts will be produced this year – enough to stretch to and from Rome, Italy to Valentine, Arizona 20 times.